Sadly, as summer begins to leave us, we are not only left with cooler weather, but quite often a few extra pounds. Summer holidays, BBQs, and poolside cocktails all take a toll on the waistline! Exercise regimes have been put aside in favour of social gatherings, cottage getaways or perhaps hours on a patio.
As we settle the kids back to school, it’s a perfect time to tighten our belts, literally. September is one of the most popular months in the fitness industry. Much like January, many people re-connect with their fitness goals and make a pledge to get rid of the summer pounds.
The bad news is that it takes as little as one week to begin to lose your strength gains and muscle tone. The good news is, once you commit to a program, you will get results! So, how can you get started?
- Get out and move! Go for a walk, run, bike ride or rollerblade for 20-40 minutes a day
- Get fit and social! Join a fall sport
- Get Lean! Follow a resistance training program 3-5 times per week
- Get Clean! Review your nutrition by logging your food intake
- Get on track! Set a daily exercise schedule
As a fitness trainer and educator, I can’t stress the importance of getting back on track. Whether you are a seasoned vet or new to exercise, fall is a great time to get outdoors or into the gym to improve your fitness!